GT Referral and Screening Process
All campuses in Austin ISD offer Gifted and Talented screening in grades K-12 based on referrals received by the Campus GT Advocate.
Parents and caregivers can submit their child’s name to the Campus GT Advocate to be considered for the Gifted and Talented program. The Campus GT Advocate can provide more details.
Referral Window for SY2022-23: September 19-October 7
- Parent GT Observation Checklist, Grades K-2 in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese
- Parent GT Observation Checklist, Grades 3-12 in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese
Students may be identified in one or more of the following areas:
- GT STEM (science and mathematics),
- GT Humanities (language arts and social studies),
- Talent Explore STEM (science and mathematics), or
- Talent Explore Humanities (language arts and social studies).
Qualitative and quantitative measures are collected. Qualitative measures include a Parent Observation Form, Teacher Observation Form, and a student work sample completed at school. The quantitative measure is a standardized assessment.
Austin ISD Secondary GT Services
Secondary GT services include instruction by a teacher with the appropriate GT Foundations training and any required specialized training in the following options:
- Advanced Courses,
- Advanced Placement,
- Magnet (requires admission to magnet),
- International Baccalaureate (requires admission to IB),
- Dual Credit (requires passing TSI score), or
- Advanced-level CTE courses.
Secondary GT/Advanced Academics Coordinator